If you go to Sales & Marketing > History > Posted Invoices, and search for invoice by filtering in “Order No.” sometimes you might not find any invoices. There are two possible reasons for that –
1. (Quite common one) If invoice has been created in Sales Invoice screen, using Functions > Get Shipment Lines…, and posted, “Order No.” field will be blank. In this case, in might be easier to find sales invoice document going from sales order to sales shipment (clicking Order > Shipments), and then on the shipment line, using “Line > Item Invoice Lines” function.
2. (Quite uncommon, but still possible) If sales invoice was posted directly from sales order screen, “Order No.” is filled in. But, if sales invoice has been printed, another user (or even yourself) could have delete the posted sales invoice.
Let’s have a look at second example in more details:
1. Find posted sales invoice under Sales & Marketing > History > Posted Invoices. Click Edit > Delete (or F4)
2. You will get error message saying “No. Printed” must not be 0 in Sales Invoice Header No.=’103001′”.
3. Click OK. Then click “Print“, which will open “Sales – Invoice” report’s request form. Click “Print Again”.
4. Now, you can see, that “No. Printed” has been set to 1. Let’s click Edit > Delete (or F4) again.
5. Pufff! Posted Sales Invoice has been deleted.
Therefore, default Dynamics NAV functionality allows you to delete posted sales invoices! Obviously, all important entries, like customer ledger entries, remain in tact, but it is worthwhile to know, that it can be done. Especially, when someone asks where his posted sales invoice dissapeared.