A few days ago I have written a post about how to import Dynamics NAV objects (*.FOB) file. Armonds commented (thank you!) that not many people know that you can also import Dynamics NAV objects from the backup (*.FBK) file. Did you guys know this?
I have encountered this functionality in the past, when one of my clients was asking on how to create a Dynamics NAV backup, and then following up with a question what’s the point of taking objects only (when you have a check mark only on “Application Objects” field) backup?. Well, there is a possibility (regardless, if you have objects only backup, or “Entire Database” backup), to import Dynamics NAV objects from backup (*.FBK) file.
How to import Dynamics NAV objects from a backup (*.FBK)?
1. Click Tools > Object Designer (or SHIFT+F12).
2. Click File > Import (or ALT+F+O).
3. By default, “File of type” is set to Dynamics NAV Objects, hence you will not see the backup (FBK) file.
4. Therefore, in field “File of type” select All Files.
5. Select your backup file and click Open.
6. In Import Worksheet filter the objects which you want to import. Click Replace All and then click OK to import.