I know, I know… dataports are so “stone age” and we could use so many more different options with newer technology! But there are plenty of customers out there who are still running older navision versions (3.6, 3.7). And once in a while, you might get a request to create a simple dataport. So, let’s say we have only a few requirements. Export item record details to text file:
- One line per item
- Fields to be exported: Item No., Description, Inventory
- Format to be used:
- ITEMNUMBER01,Item 1 Description,10
- ITEMNUMBER02,Item 2 Description,20
- ITEMNUMBER03,Item 3 Description,40
Sounds easy? Well, it should, if you have done this at least once. If not… the first question (after running the dataport and getting exported file) is –
– how do you remove field delimiters (those quotes in the text file) in Dataport? The default value for FieldStartDelimiter and FieldEndDelimiter is set to quote (<“>).
And if you try to delete the value (or enter blank value by hitting space), it is set back to default value automatically. I have seen this question being asked quite a few times in forums and I have been asked this question in the past as well.
Therefore, you either need to know what values you can enter to this field (or, once again, just use help by clicking F1).
To answer the question quickly, you do not need to “remove” the delimiters. You need to “define” the value which would mean blank/empty delimiter. Therefore, in order to remove field delimiters in Dataport, you need to set “FieldStartDelimiter” and “FieldEndDelimiter” to <None>.